Carriage A 1328 is a recent arrival at Maymorn. The car is in remarkably good condition and after a modest amount of restoration work it will return to service on our railway.
The narrow-body 50-foot carriage was built at the former New Zealand Railways Newmarket Workshops in Auckland in 1913. It was built as a two-compartment second-class car with a central toilet, converted to a single compartment car in October 1944. It was allocated to the Whanganui District, transferred to Wellington in October 1959, . Retired from passenger service in 1971 it went into Way & Works service as car Ea 3962 / EA1634 and written off in 1987. Privately owned, the carriage was initially stored at Clareville, Wairarapa, then at the Feilding Steam Rail depot.
Thanks are due to Rimutaka Trust / Trust House for funding the transport of the carriage from Feilding to Maymorn, Feilding Steam Rail for their assistance with preparing the carriage for transport, PTS Logistics, McIntosh Cranes, Hammond Crane and Cartage, and Clive Davis Transport for transport and unloading work at Maymorn.